[05-04-2024] Humboldt County, CA – 28-Year-Old Pedestrian Killed After Being Struck By Hit-And-Run Vehicle Along US 101

Published May 6, 2024

[05-04-2024] 28-Year-Old Pedestrian Killed After Being Struck By Hit-And-Run Vehicle Along US 101A 28-year-old pedestrian was killed after being struck by a hit-and-run vehicle along US 101, Humboldt County, on Saturday morning, May 4, 2024. 

According to the California Highway Patrol, the collision happened around 2:45 a.m. in the lanes of northbound US 101 near Piercy, California.

Authorities stated that a pedestrian was reportedly lying down in the lanes when they were hit by a vehicle. The hit-and-run driver failed to stop or call 911 and fled the scene after the incident. The victim was identified as 28-year-old Dakota S., who lived in the Redway area. 

CHP is asking for witnesses to come forward and cooperate in finding the suspect. Anyone with information is highly encouraged to contact the responding officials at 707-932-6100 during normal business hours.

Further information has yet to be released by the authorities. The investigation into the accident continues.

Don’t Know What To Do After An Accident?

Your safety and rights depend on what you do next after an accident. Remember the following steps if you find yourself in one:

  • Check yourself for any injuries.
  • Stay on the scene, call 9-1-1, and wait for emergency responders.
  • Move your vehicle to the road shoulder if safe; turn on hazard lights.
  • Fully cooperate with law enforcement and stay until cleared to leave.
  • Document the scene and injuries with photos and videos.
  • Seek immediate medical attention.
  • Contact your insurance company and find a personal injury lawyer for legal advice.

What A Lawyer Can Do For You

Many victims put off calling a lawyer even if they sustain injuries after an accident. However, lawyers can help you in many ways. They can provide you with police reports, CCTV footage, and witness statements to strengthen your case. Your attorney will also negotiate with insurance companies to get you fair compensation. The best part is that they will do all of these things for you at no upfront cost. So if you’re injured in an accident, hire a personal injury attorney to recover medical bills, car repair costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering.